Celestial Cosmos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Whisperwind

Replacing The Sewer Line

Hi guys, Celes here! Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with replacing a sewer line? I live in a duplex that was built in the 60's so pretty sure the clay pipes have went out. Have had a couple plumbers out here and one quoted me $10,000.00 to replace the pipes on my side. That seems a lil crazy to me, but not sure. They only need to replace about 84 feet worth of pipe.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

What did the others quote you? When they make quotes you can ask for a break down to see what is labor, supplies, etc. And give you an idea of what has to be done, in which case you can then decide whether you want to DIY.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Celestial Cosmos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Whisperwind

The other quoted 5k but that was just for a portion of what needed to be done and put in a sweep out drain just to get the house up to code. Going to have another plumbing company come out this week for another quote.

I had to have mine replaced in my house and it cost about 1800 without inspection. They had to go under my drive way which alone added around 700 to the price. I had to do about 30-40feet so 5k seems closeish depending on if they have to go under anything etc. But I'd just look up a few companies using homeadviser.com and get a few more quotes.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Always, always, always get multiple quotes. Larger, busier companies will sometime jack up their prices if they don't need the work when issuing quotes. The smaller guys(in my limited experience) always seem to come in with a much more reasonable amount.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Celestial Cosmos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Whisperwind

Will do for sure, just gotta wait for pay day to afford to have them come out. Thanks guys

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialstrife View Post
    Hi guys, Celes here! Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with replacing a sewer line? I live in a duplex that was built in the 60's so pretty sure the clay pipes have went out. Have had a couple plumbers out here and one quoted me $10,000.00 to replace the pipes on my side. That seems a lil crazy to me, but not sure. They only need to replace about 84 feet worth of pipe.
    I did mine myself. The line from my house to the sewer in my back yard was clay and tree roots broke through and was causing clogs. I rented a backhoe, bought a bunch of PVC, glue, and rubber damper seals. My father in law and a couple of his friends were there and helped too. It took about 14 hours from dawn to dusk, but we finished. One of my father in laws coworkers was an old plumber, he just sat there and drank my beer and told me what to do. I had never used a backhoe either, but the rental company gave a quick lesson. I saved about 6000 dollars. Total cost was $800

Good luck

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Celestial Cosmos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Whisperwind

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    I did mine myself. The line from my house to the sewer in my back yard was clay and tree roots broke through and was causing clogs. I rented a backhoe, bought a bunch of PVC, glue, and rubber damper seals. My father in law and a couple of his friends were there and helped too. It took about 14 hours from dawn to dusk, but we finished. One of my father in laws coworkers was an old plumber, he just sat there and drank my beer and told me what to do. I had never used a backhoe either, but the rental company gave a quick lesson. I saved about 6000 dollars. Total cost was $800

Good luck
    Wow only 800, I am very tempted to do that, our pipes are clay as well and I am pretty sure they are well infested with roots.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The fun thing about projects around the house (and really most all things involving labor) is the cost is always heavily towards labor, something like 80/20 if not more.

Materials are typically pretty inexpensive, but what you're paying for is the experience of the laborers, their wages, overhead costs, etcetc, and of course not having to do it yourself. That is something to factor in though: what is your time worth, the time it takes to learn how to do it, the time to fix mistakes, the time to actually do it, etc.

I try to do most projects myself, but I know when things aren't worth the effort/pain/time (drywalling for example is the devil), so you need just figure out what;s it worth to you.

Good luck if you need a trencher and have to go under concrete

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Celestial Cosmos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Whisperwind

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Good luck if you need a trencher and have to go under concrete
    Actually I think we might have to cuz the line goes under the driveway. RIP

You can find out, just go to the end of the drive way and see which side the main starts at.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Celestial Cosmos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Whisperwind

Just a lil update to those who are curious. Had another plumber come out today and he quoted 6k for both sides of the duplex to replace, definitely going to go with this guy, that's like half of what another plumber quoted us for both sides. Crazy stuff.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

sounds like he could do well if you took him off some sweet jumps

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialstrife View Post
    Just a lil update to those who are curious. Had another plumber come out today and he quoted 6k for both sides of the duplex to replace, definitely going to go with this guy, that's like half of what another plumber quoted us for both sides. Crazy stuff.
    It really is a lot to do with volume of work they have. Any subcontractor of any size will jack up their prices when they have a lot of work, due in part to having to re-subcontract the work to someone else that actually has the available manpower to do so. Even general contractors do this, especially when its a job they don't really want.

Still, make sure this guy is licensed, and check with your state directory if their insurance is active. I have no experience dealing with direct to owner contracting, but the way we get subcontractors to finish work is by withholding a retainage % on each payment they request, until the job is 100% and we then release their full balance. Obviously, he's not going to provide you this option, but as long as the payment conditions are fair, you shouldn't be too worried. Make copies of everything you sign, and keep it filed. If you can't photocopy immediately, take a picture as best as possible of the entire document.

Also make sure all work is up to code. They don't have to get an inspector(technically they do - at least in my state) which adds to the costs if they do. But you always want everything to be up to code regardless.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Celestial Cosmos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Whisperwind

Yup planned on doing that