Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foot Pain     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Foot Pain

Okay BG, this is a new one to me, and I've dealt with many different types of foot, ankle, and leg pain over the years thanks to dance/the Army, but I can't figure this one out.

I can't recall having injured myself and I don't have consistent or constant pain, but after any period of inactivity such as sleeping or even driving, once I step onto my right foot again, it hurts as though it's sprained/strained. The joint is very stuff and I have to walk kind of funny until the foot remembers that it's a working part of my body, and then it basically stops hurting until the next time I take a while to stand up. I've begun to notice this even while teaching, which is obviously not good.

Now I have an appointment at the VA on Tuesday already for something not related and I'm probably going to try to get this looked at, but any suggestions to what this is? I've sprained and strained both of my feet on several occasions and it's never acted this way before.

For now, I have wrapped my foot in an ace bandage and I'll probably ice it later to see if it helps, but I'm wondering if it's something else entirely, like arthritis or something? Anyone have any suggestions?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

too vague to do internet doctoring. Be more precise in the location(s). What type of pain you feel, burning, stinging, stabbing, dull, achy, etc. Is painful when you plant your foot or pushing off, etc. Define how you have to walk "funny".

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Sounds lower calf/Achilles related. Just a hunch based on the intermittent pain after inactivity.

Source: used to have Achilles problems
    Not sourced: my field of work, I don't know shit about ortho.

Joint stiffness/pain that gets better with activity sounds a lot like arthritis to me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

first glance sounds like it's a lack of circulation. if you're sure nothing is broken, try massaging it out and look for any tough knots you can work out.

based on your history, if you have never had any legit calf rolling or massage this is the kind of thing that can happen. knots can especially build up after repeated injuries. do you have any lower back pain too?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

You can get that with Achilles problems too, especially with how the gastroc and soleus connect at the Achilles. And especially considering that it mostly happens after period of inactivity. And considering that you ruled out injury, which tells me it was rather sudden onset and not progressive. Gastroc and Soleus warm up, loosen, Achilles feels fine, pain goes away. Could be arthritis, you sound to have probably an inordinate amount of stress on the joint considering past activities, but still, probably lower on the differential.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

It's not a burning pain. It honestly feels like a sprain, which I've had before, but there's nothing I could have been doing to have caused that. I've been walking around more because I've been teaching, but I don't think it's been excessive, and I haven't been wearing the type of shoes that would cause any problems. I figure if it's arthritis pain it would probably hurt on both feet, but then again, I don't know. I feel like I'm too young for that shit (I'm 35), but then again, I abused the shit out of my legs for more than 20 years in dance class, so maybe it could be.

I guess I'll just get it looked at on Tuesday when I go to the VA. It's not really impacting my life that much, other than kind of limping a little when I first get up. I tend to walk flat-footed right after I get up because of the pain, and once that kind of dissipates, I can walk normally again, which is what I meant by walking funny.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Sounds like you're getting old. Welcome to the club.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It could be circulatory-related or the unlikely but possible situation of diabetic neuropathy preceding the type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Additional weight, even if leading to nothing specific yet, also can't help the knees/feet. I know its not the ideal thing to acknowledge, but a lot of lower body non-injury ailments are caused by, or exacerbated, by having to support more weight than nature designs. I'd imagine a focus on better fitness would help improve your mobility and feet pain issues.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Sepukku View Post
    It could be circulatory-related or the unlikely but possible situation of diabetic neuropathy preceding the type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Additional weight, even if leading to nothing specific yet, also can't help the knees/feet. I know its not the ideal thing to acknowledge, but a lot of lower body non-injury ailments are caused by, or exacerbated, by having to support more weight than nature designs. I'd imagine a focus on better fitness would help improve your mobility and feet pain issues.
    This is one of the biggest reasons I get so pissed off at people saying "doctors shouldn't tell their patients to lose weight blah blah fat shaming"

Like motherfuckers can be "fat and healthy" but their joints are still gonna get fucked up hard.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I see a dietician monthly so trust me, I am working on that, though I would have thought it would have begun sooner since I've been carrying extra weight for years now.

I also like how you called me fat but like, in a polite way. (Not that I don't already acknowledge that in myself.)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    I see a dietician monthly so trust me, I am working on that, though I would have thought it would have begun sooner since I've been carrying extra weight for years now.

I also like how you called me fat but like, in a polite way. (Not that I don't already acknowledge that in myself.)
    This time it wasnt really at you, just a general pet peeve thing. Some saw shit on fb or twitter earlier like "doctors please stop peddling 'losing weight' as treatment" in the same vein so it was on my mind.

BG Level

I had very similar symptoms around the middle of december. Thought id sparained my ankle. Turned out to be blood clots. Got bad, quickly. Do not fuck the appointments off.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

its probably aids. is it aids? its aids

BG's most likeable Québécois

BG Level

She must be pregnant

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

can someone pls edit thread to be called Foot AIDS

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Better yet, can close the thread. I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow and it hasn't really been all that helpful.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

well what did you expect lol

Closed Thread